Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Jackfruit Pancake/ Phanas Poale

Jackfruit or Phanas as we call it, is one of my favorite fruits. We used to get that in abundance in my native place in North Canara. During our summer visits first thing I used to do was to run to the big jackfruit trees in the backyard and count how many we could have before we leave. We would keep a watch on the ripening jackfruit so no monkeys can harm them. Even before they ripe sometimes my granny would take it out to make curries, chips etc. Ripe ones were usually attacked by all the grandkids.. But she would sometime ask us to leave some of it so she can make dosa or idli out of it.






Here I don't have the luxury of getting fresh fruit. But I always stock up on canned ones. My kids love it too. So when I was blog hopping Kaveri, I jumped to this recipe of jackfruit pancakes. Though I have had this many times before, it's never enough for me. :o) Kaveri has lot of Palakkad recipes on her space. These pancakes turned out really good. Jackfruit gives real nice flavor to common dishes. Try it out and let me know.

Prep Time: 15 min | Cooking Time | Pressure cook time + making each pancake


Ingredients:

Jackfruit - 1 Cup (1 can full of jackfruits)
Paraboiled rice/ Long grain rice - 1 1/2 Cup
Jaggery - 1 Cup (Brown Sugar)
Salt - 1/4 tsp.
Oil to grease the pan

Method of Preparation:

~ Wash rice and leave it to soak for 3 to 4 hours.
~ Soak jaggery in little water and let the impurities settle down.
~ Meanwhile if you have fresh jackfruit, remove the shell, pull out each fruits from it. Deseed and wash the fruits. If it's from canned, remove the syrup and rinse with water
~ Roughly chop the fruit and pressure cook for 2 or 3 whistles.
~ Grind the rice adding little water. When the batter is coarse, add cooked jackfruit and jaggery, grind to smooth paste.
~ Heat a thick pan and pour a ladle full of batter onto the pan. Drizzle some oil on and around the pancake/ dosa. Let it cook on that side for a minute.
~ Flip it over gently using a flat spatula and cook the other side.
~ Serve it hot with some butter on top.

Check out my previous blog hop entries

These are cooked up to go for Radhika of Tickling Palates 
blog hop event.



Sharing this at May event of Bon Vivant #4 - Fruit Recipes



Also sending this to Radhika's Let's Cook - Fruits,
Srivalli's Kids Delight hosted at UK-Rasoi,
Chandrani's Spotlight - Healthy Breakfast ,
Divya's Let's Party - Breakfast 

22 comments:

  1. that is so very new. I am not a big fan of jackfruit, but the recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a can of jackfruit in my pantry..this looks like a good recipe to use it on

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is new to me. But love jack fruit. Absolutely delicious pancakes.

    Thanks for linking it to the event..

    Divya's Culinary Journey
    Showcase- Desserts
    Lets Party-Breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...jackfruit pancakes looks so delicious,I had this very long back !! Fresh jackfruit n pancake looks more tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. new to me.looks so delicious..excellent recipe dear!!
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a big fan of jackfruit but they look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy pancakes, definitely super flavourful and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! looks tasty & what an interesting recipe with Jackfruit! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have neer tried Jackfruit some how in any recipe.. Would love to start with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so unique and wonderful recipe dear !! looks absolutely delish !!

    Ongoing event
    CC:Mom's Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, mouthwatering, looks delicious dear, have to try this out..

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow....absolutely mouthwatering jackfruit pancakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love this dosa and have had it many a time. Love it always.

    Tickling Palates
    Event : Fruit Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's a unique idea of making jackfruit dosa. Thats so new to me and I'm off to try it. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. innovative and delicious pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very interesting recipe. looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting pancakes sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful clicks n yummy pancakes...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sumedha!

    Glad to have found your space through the blog hop. Love your space. And the fruit salad turned out to be very very delicious.
    Thanks for cooking from my space.
    SYF & HWS - Fennel Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  20. First time here.. Delicious pancakes. Following u! Do visit my blog too.
    Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great recipe Sumee.I enjoyed it here, so bookmarked.

    Visit my blog: Hema's Adugemane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...