Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mung Payasa/ Green Gram Payasam

Green mung’s are packed with nutrition. I use them in many dishes in variety of forms. It’s pretty versatile. Mung, also called as Green Gram (we call it moog in Konkani) can be soaked to make sprouts. Did you know Mung is adapted as word in English which was derived from Hindi? My favorite dish in the whole wide world is made of Mung. It’s called “Mooga Randhayi”. And it HAS to be prepared by my mom. She makes the BEST. I always relish them anyway, BUT there is something special the way she makes. I have tried many times, but it just doesn’t satisfy my palate. My mom knows that I love this dish and she always makes them especially (so I want to think!) for me. This always featured in my b’day party menu, so you can imagine. :o)
Anyway, coming back to Mung, I made this sweet the other day with it. It was very rich and creamy. I had never tried whole Mung in payas before. My mom makes a little different kind of sweet laddoos with it. Anyway, end result? It turned out absolutely Delicious. So, it’s going on my menu card of desserts. J
Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 10 min. | Cooking Time: 20 min.

Ingredients:
Green Mung/ Green Gram – 1 cup
Condensed Milk – ½ can
Jaggery – ½ cup
Coconut Milk – 1 can
Fresh Coconut – Grated about 2 tbsp.
Cardamom powder – ½ tsp.

For Garnish:
Cashew – handful
Ghee – 1 tsp. to roast the cashew.

Method of Preparation:
~ Wash and rinse mung thoroughly. Cover with enough water (little above the grain) and pressure cook for two whistles.
~ When you are able to open the pressure cooker, put cooked mung in a pot and place it on heat. Add Condensed milk and jaggery to this and mix them well.
~ Once it starts to bubble, reduce heat, add fresh coconut and coconut milk. Give it a nice stir. Heat it for another 2 minutes.
~ Top it with cardamom powder and switch off the heat.
~ Fry Cashew in hot ghee and pour the mixture on top of the sweet dish. Yummy, flavorful and easy dessert is ready to be served hot or cold.

Sending this to Srav's Festive Food event,
Priya's Cooking with seeds - Mung/ Moong Beans event
Vidhya's Love Lock with Sweets event

20 comments:

  1. Yumm and Healthy Greangram Payasam Dear.U can link it to Priya's MungBeans Event also using linky tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and unique green gram payasam..
    I usually prepare with split moong dal..

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely payasam...new idea.my mom makes the best moong dal payasam.nice space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious looking payasam we like this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and very unique payasam !!

    Ongoing Event - Festive Food

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice n healthy payasam...looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Payesam looks mouth watering, yummy and tasty. Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all. @Julie - yeah we do the split moong daal too. those are so good isn't it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg, green gram payasam,looks unique and inviting..thanks for sending Sumee..

    ReplyDelete
  10. i too haven't tried with whole moong, sure it's a wonderful idea, delicious and yummy payasam..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tasted or heard of this before but it sure looks like delicacy n a must try :)
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  12. My fav payasam..Loved ur version pf adding cond milk..Makes it all the more creamier :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple and sweet payasam!

    ReplyDelete
  14. delicious and healthy payasam.you have a nice blog.you can visit my blog and give ur valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so tempting and delicious. Nice dish.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Uma@Trendy Relish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious..my hus would love this payasam! thanks for being part if the event..happy blogging with cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This look really nice!! gloria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...