Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Malabar Fish Curry

My friends at blog hopping must be wondering about my second blog hop post for today.! Am sure Radhika is smiling reading through this. Hope it’s a pleasant surprise to her. :o). The story is that I was scheduled to hop to Shireen’s blog this week. But due to lot of enquiries Radhika who hosts the blog hopping, decided to make tweak to the schedule and I got assigned Rinku’s kitchen. Problem was I had already prepared my bloghopping for this week and didn’t wanted my whole post and clicks go waste. So I requested Radhika to excuse me from changing my schedule. She being so understanding agreed to it, but I did promise her that if I get time, I would try Rinku’s blog too. After all I have blog hopped her before and would have loved to give some more try.


And time did I get over the weekend. Since I was getting ready to prepare fish curry, I remembered seeing this recent post of Nandan Meen curry on Rinku’s blog. The content and the outcome were so very close to what we make at home. I did little tweaks here and there. For original recipe visit Rinku and her wonderful blog. I have almost started to think konkan and kerala dishes are very similar. So here I present to you my second blog hopping for the day, Malabar fish curry.



Serves: 4 | Prep. Time: 10 min. | Cooking Time: 15 min.


Ingredients:
  • For masala -
    • Coconut – Grated 2 cups
    • Chili powder - 1 tbsp.
    • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
    • Cumin/ Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp.
    • Tamarind extract - 1/2 tsp.
    • Coriander powder - 1 tsp
  • Tilapia fish fillets – 4
  • Green Chili - 3 slit
  • Ginger - 1 tbsp. (minced)
  • Onion - small (minced fine)
  • Curry / Kadipatta leaves - 1 spring
  • Garam masala powder - 1tsp.
  • Water as required
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil - 1 tbsp. 
Clockwise from top - Garam masala, coconut paste, salt, oil, curry leaves, ginger, chili (from my Garden!), onion

Method of Preparation:
~ Wash and clean fish fillets. Cut them to required size and keep it aside to drain out the excess water.
~ Grind everything listed under masala to a fine paste. (Coconut and tamarind with turmeric, chili powder, cumin and coriander powder).

 

~ Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves.
~ After few seconds add, green chilies, onion and ginger. Fry till onions turn translucent.
~ Add coconut paste and add required amount of water and salt. Bring it to boil.
~ Now add fish fillets gently in and cook until it boils again; in about 4 to 5 minutes. Check to make sure all the fillets are done (They would turn white)
~ Serve this yummy dish hot with some rice.





Check out my previous blog hop entries


This is off to Radhika’s blog hop event.

19 comments:

  1. You know what, this is really very sweet of you Sumi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sumee can I give you a hug :) That's really sweet of you. Both the posts are lovely. Glad u liked it. Yes, I too have realised that there is so much similarity b/w the 2 cuisines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy Malabar Fish Curry Dear.Luks Simply Super Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fish curry looks super good... My kind of comfort food.. Just oozes with flavour..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  5. inviting dish
    1st time here nice space do visit my site

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Radhika - thnx. I was glad I was able to try this. @Rinku - hugs back to ya.. Curry was awesome, so it was all my pleasure. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. delicious dear...You have made this perfectly..Will surely give it a try..

    Do visit my blog too
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so delicious, what a wonderful combination of spices - I've actually never made a curry - it's time I did!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  9. fish curry looks totally yummy..lovely recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very authentic recipe and a lovely preparation..looks inviting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very delicious and flavourful fish curry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like the true, authentic malabar curry..Good job sumee!!! I can almost smell the wonderful flavors :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fantastic! Really need to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious malabar fish curry,looks so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luv the Authentic way of making fish curry..slurp..

    ReplyDelete
  17. happily following u.............do drop at my space...........


    fish curry.................superb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...