Several days back I had bought these spinach ravioli’s from Sam’s and instead of just topping them with parmesan I thought tomato sauce would be good. I started looking online and found my inspiration here. I have tried it few times with variation and below recipe is the best of the lot. With Jalapeno’s kick it turns out really delicious.
- Tomatoes – 3 large (I mostly use green tomatoes if available)
- Onion – Small (About ½ cup - Finely chopped)
- Garlic – 4 Cloves (minced)
- Canned Tomatoes with Jalapeno – 1 can (I use Ro*tel brand Hot ones)
- Butter - 2 tbsp.
- Parmesan cheese – 4 tbsp.
- Basil – 2 tsp. (I use dry flakes, but if you have fresh, YUMMY)
- Oregano – ½ tsp.
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp.
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper – ½ tsp. (Add if NOT using Jalapenos. I didn’t use any.)
- Parmesan cheese - to garnish
Method of Preparation:~ Clean and cut chunks of tomatoes. Place them in a microwave safe bowl and microwave high for 5 minutes.
~ Meanwhile heat oil in a pan and add onions. Sauté them until translucent.
~ Add garlic, canned tomatoes and fry for another minute and take it out from heat.
~ Blend this onion with cooked tomatoes to make a smooth paste.
~ In the same pan that you sautéed onions, add butter and ground paste and bring it to boil.
~ Add basil, oregano and salt. Simmer for another 3 minutes.
~ Switch off the heat and add parmesan cheese and give it a nice stir.
~ Cook ravioli according to the instructions, in boiled water.
~ Drain the water, place them in serving dish and top it with sauce.
~ Alternatively, keep them separately, like I usually do, so you can choose how much sauce you want on the ravioli.