Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hummus with Roasted Peppers

Some of these dips, sides and salads are real easy to put together and of course nutritious too. So, long time back, one day I gave Hummus a try. First time it was really dry and I didn’t really enjoy it since it wasn’t smooth. Later when I bought a food processor (I LOVE my Cuisinart food processor btw! I make my chapati / paratha dough in it ALL the time), I did the below recipe. And it turned out great. Please adjust the oil if you think it’s dry. But usually below recipe should give you a smooth creamy hummus.
Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 5 min. | Cooking Time: 2 min.


Ingredients:
·         Chickpeas – 1 can
·         Orange (or any other color) bell pepper – ½ cup
·         Garlic – 2 cloves
·         Extra virgin Olive Oil – 1/2 cup
·         Lime juice – 1tbsp.
·         Pepper – ½ tsp.
·         Salt to taste


Method of Preparation:
Best is to prepare in a food processor, it hard to get the right texture in a blender. Nevertheless it still tastes great. :o)
Wash and cut bell pepper into strips. In a hot pan, add a tsp. of oil and sauté them until it becomes soft (about 3 minutes).
Once cooled, transfer them to food processor bowl. Add drained and washed chickpeas, garlic, and salt. Start the processor. As it starts to blend, add lime juice.
Now, slowly add oil from top (in the mixer also you can do the same from top once everything has come together). Switch off the processor in between to check on the consistency. Once you are satisfied with smoothness, stop the food processor; take out the hummus in a serving bowl. Don't you LOVE that color!. Enjoy it with any kind of chips, for layering inside pita bread or for a sandwich.



Sending this to Suma's MLLA event via Susan's event

And to Kalyani's Global food event






11 comments:

  1. lovely- my fav;looks well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luks too good,one of my fav.very light chickpeas chutney for Pita bread.Luv it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and delicious !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-Festive Foods

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious..Perfect side dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds new n amazingly tasty combo sumee...;)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hummus and yours look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks yum dear, i have to try this, bookmarked it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I've never made my own but I would much rather start making my own rather than getting all the stuff they have to stick in it in the store. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone.. Yeah, this is becoming one of staple dish at our household. so easy & versatile. Also, many chefs swear that you HAVE to use tahini sauce in it, but we don't miss it at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love hummous!looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks fabulous. Thanks for the lovely entry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...