Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mango Mousse (Eggless)

Happy Diwali everyone.! Hope this diwali brings sparkles in everyone's life.

This Mango Mousse is a great dessert for any occasion. I thought I will blog about this yummy dish today to celebrate Diwali. Who wouldn’t want to try this tropical fruit dessert right? My friend Soujanya had made a dessert with Mango. This was about 7 yrs ago when I had met her. Later I kept making changes to her recipe. Every time it has turned out exotic and of course tons of compliments.  The ease of it’s preparation always pulls me back to this dessert. J


I took these pictures when I made this for my DD's parent-child work day at her school. It's a fun day with all parents joining forces with teachers and kids to get the things done around the school. We helped in preparing and planting the tulips (my FAVOURITE flowers!). We had so much fun that day. Now coming back to the delicious mousse....
Serves: 10 to 12 | Prep Time: 10 min.



Ingredients:
·         Mango pulp – 1 can
·         Cream Cheese – 16 Oz. pkg.
·         Unflavored Gelatin / Agar-Agar (I used Knox brand gelatin)
– 2 small packets (1/4 cup gelatin)
·         Heavy whipping Cream – 1/2 pint.
·         Sugar – ½ to 1 cup (depending upon your sweet tooth)
·         Water – 2 cups
Method of Preparation:
~ Thaw Cream cheese for about an hour.
~ Put the stainless steel beaters and a bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes. (You can skip this. But having cold bowl helps whip the cream quickly)
~ Take out the bowl, add heavy cream, use electric beater at medium speed to whip the heavy cream. Once it starts to froth, add cream cheese and continue to beat until nice spikes are formed.

       
~ Fold in Mango pulp and sugar into this mix.
~ In a separate small bowl take ½ cup of cold water. Sprinkle the gelatin powder on top of the cold water and let it stand for a minute.
~ Pour 1½ cup of hot water on top of the gelatin and mix it by gently stirring. Make sure no lumps are formed.
~ Add this gelatin mix to the prepared mango mixture and give it a gentle stir.

~ Pour the mixture into bowl and refrigerate for at least 5 to 6 hours for it to set.
~ You can serve it topped with some whipping cream or fruits or just plain mousse.  
                 



Tips:
·         Alternatively you can set them in individual small serving cups.

Update - Some tips of substituting -
~ If you don't care for mango, you can use any other fruit pulp
~ In India you get Amul's Cream, which is very similar to heavy cream that I have mentioned above.
~ You can skip Cream Cheese if not available (I know, it's difficult to get this in India & also the same quality), but double the gelatin qunatity.


Sending this to Radhika's Diwali Special - Sweets & Savories event,
Pari's Only Sweets & Desserts hosted by Gayathri
Denny & Krithi's Serve it Series
Srav's Festive Food
Sameena's Diwali Sweets
Kalyani's 100 Days Global Food Festival

14 comments:

  1. This looks such a delicious and refreshing dessert - I really love the flavors! THanks for visiting me and signing up to follow - I'm very happy to do the same!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sumee I love mangoes and love this Mousse!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luv this Mango Mousse.Luks colourfully Delightful.Yum Yum.Dear Blogger Friend,Wish U a Warm and Happy Diwali. Enjoy the Festivities with taste-filled delights,Safe and Delicious Moments - Regards, Christy Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful n yummy mango mousse!! Perfect to celebrate the day..
    Happy Diwali!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this dessert but since getting heavy whipping cream is out of question I will hav eto do some heavy thinking before I attempt this. Also the only person to eat this other than me hates mangoes so can i sub it the mangoes with strawberries?

    Thanks for your visit to my place. I am not a natural Goan but I have adopted it for the last 23 yrs.of marriage.
    Happy Diwali and a Prosperous New Year!
    I am hosting a new event which I am calling Back to our Roots. Do check out my event and send me your entries from 15/10/11 to 30/11/11.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @thanks everyone. @Archana - Updated the recipe with some tips. Pls do check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..love the mousse..looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish you and your family a very happy and prosperous Diwali.
    Mango Mousse looks delicious, yummy, colourful and flavourful. Beautiful decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love mango mousse...this looks good
    and sumee thank you for all the sweet comments you leave on my blog....feels good
    love ur space
    cherie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cant say no to anything made with mango...Luv the dessert to the core..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the recipe!! i don't want to use canned mango pulp since fresh ones are easily available these days...can you pls tell how many mangoes should i use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, 1 Can of Mango Pulp is 30 oz can. So that would come to about 4 cups (1 cup = 8oz). Hard to tell how many mangoes to use, since each mango yields different amount of flesh. I would say start with 8 to 9 mangoes for the above measurement. Puree & measure them. If you think you need to add more, you can always add some more. Hope it was helpful.
      BTW, two suggestions,
      1. you might want to adjust the sugar accordingly. Canned ones are usually sweetened, so you need less sugar..
      2. Do not just mash and use the mango flesh, puree it in blender to get nice smooth texture in mousse
      Do let me know how it turned out. :o)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...