Saturday, October 8, 2011

Daali Thoy / Tur Daal Konkani Style

Daali thoy is a classic Konkani style daal. Almost all Konkani kids grow up learning this one first I think. It’s my favorite kind of daal, not only because of the simplicity it has to offer, also coz I remember my childhood slurping on the hot daali thoy and rice. Though it’s same recipe as what my mom does, I feel I miss her touch in that.

Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 min. | Cooking Time: 10 min.

Ingredients:

·         Toor Dal/ Tuvar Dal / Split pigeon peas – 1 cup
·         Green chilies – 3 – 4 - Slit
·         Turmeric – ¼ tsp.
·         Ginger – 1 tsp. finely chopped
·         Oil / ghee – 1 tsp.
·         Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
·         Hing / Asafetida – a pinch
·         Curry leaves
·         Red chili – 1
·         Salt to taste

Method of preparation:

~ Wash Toor daal and pressure cook with green chili, turmeric, some drops of oil and ginger.
~ Take out the cooked daal in a pan, add water to get required consistency. Add salt and bring it to boil.
~ In a small pan, heat the ghee, add mustard seeds. Once it starts to splutter, add asafetida, red chili and curry leaves. Add this tadka to the daal and switch off. Nice aromatic daali thoy is ready! Serve it up with hot rice and pickle.

Linking this to Ayeesha's Any One can cook for the ease of preparation and time taken.

13 comments:

  1. This Turdal Konkani Style Dal fry is Superdeliciously Yumm.Superbly done click as well.Mouthwatering recipe dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy recipe.. very simple yet very delicious..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. I'm writing from Italy.
    I'm your google followers now!
    If you want, come to visit me, you are welcome.
    www.lamagicazucca.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious and simple food. Looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to learn different styles of making dals and thanks for this addition to that list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. Yes, this is one of the super fast daal fry. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sumee, u r a mangalorean too?! wow, what a small world! Altho I've not grown up eating dalitoy in my house, have always relished it at the homes of my Konkani friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds yumm n delicious..interesting version sumee..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Shireen - Yes, I am konkani, but from north part of coastal.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who can say no to daali thoy my fav ...I miss mom's food so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im a Tamilian born and brought up in madras. My mother is from Bangalore and she makes the same dish and i eat this everyay. I am away from my family right now and this recipe helped me a great deal !! Awesome...thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was so sweet.. I am glad I was able to be part of that happiness.! I live far away from my family too, and really miss these little things.

      Delete
  12. I tried this recipe for BHW and really loved it. It is so simple to make and tastes so heavenly. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...