Thursday, August 11, 2011

Guacamole

If you love Mexican food, you love Guacamole. My kids are not very fond of it, but me and hubby always dig on it. This became my MIL's one of instant favorites when she tasted them first time in US. So I would make them often at home.

Avocado is a fruit mostly ate like a vegetable I think. I have not tried any deserts with it, but I do like them in my salads, sandwiches and of course as a dip. It’s high in mono and poly saturated fat, which provides good HDL cholesterol for your diet. I am sure many of you have tried to create the guacamole in many ways. Below is a simple recipe to get a rich and smooth dip.

Ingredients:
·         Avocado – 3 medium size ones.
·         Tomato – 1 medium sized cut into small pieces
·         Onion – 1 small – Finely chopped (Optional if you don’t care for raw onion)
·         Lemon juice – 1 tbsp.
·         Garlic – 2 cloves - Finely chopped
·         Coarse Pepper – ½ tsp.
·         Chopped Fresh Cilantro / Coriander – 1 tbsp.
·         Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
·   Cut the Avocado lengthwise, twist to separate the halves. Poke the knife into seed and twist the seed to remove.
·   Make lengthwise and across marks with knife in the halves and scoop the meat out with spoon into a bowl. Gently mash them.
·   Now fold in all the other ingredients.
·   Best served with tortilla chips or pita chips.
Serves: About 4 people
Preparation Time: 10 minutes


Tips:
·    Add lesser salt than you usually would. Since it’s served with chips you don’t want to consume too much sodium in your food.
·    Pick little dark Avocado’s at grocery store. Green ones are not ripened and hard avocados don’t yield a smooth taste for Guacamole.
·    If Avocado’s are not ripened, leave it on the countertop for few days until it turns darker

3 comments:

  1. I love Guacomole. This looks so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a big fan of Avocado but it looks good :)

    I will be starting a couple of other blogs soon - including a food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ajit. I wasn't big fan when I had Avocado. Then I tried Gucomole and loved it. You should give this a recipe a try. The ones that you get in restaurants are usually less spicy and tangy for our taste. You can add some tobasco sauce to the above recipe & it will turn out heavenly. :o)
    All the best with new blog, I will sure be visiting it..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...