Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Beetroot Chutney

Today had a lengthy list of things to do in the kitchen. Found beetroot in my refrigerator and I knew what side dish I am making for chapatis. My Aayi makes this chutney often and Beetroot is one of my personal favorite. Aayi says that she ate beetroot bhaaji before she went into labor with me, that’s why I like it so much. :o).
This recipe of beetroot chutney is for the ones who don’t like cutting beetroot into tiny pieces. It’s very quick to put together and rich vibrant color is feast to eyes and stomach alike.

Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 min. | Cooking Time: 10 min
Ingredients:
·         Beetroot – 2 medium sized (when cut, it should fill about 1½ cups)
·         Green Chili – 2 or 3
·         Onion – 1 small sized
·         Tomato – 1 medium sized
·         Coconut – 2 tsp.
·         Salt to taste
·         For Tadka -->
o   Oil – 1 tsp.
o   Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
o   Split black gram / Urad daal – 1½ tsp.
o   Red Chili – 1
o   Garlic – 2 cloves - crushed
o   Asafetida / Hing – 1/3 tsp.
o   Kadipatta / Curry leaves – 6 – 7


Method of Preparation:
~ Wash and peel the skin off of beetroot. Peel skin off of Onions. Wash the tomatoes.
~ Cut all three into big chunks. Put them in a cooker with green chilies and cook for less than whistle time.
~ Let it cool.
~ Now grind the cooked vegetables with coconut using very little water. Add salt to taste.
~ Take out the contents into a serving bowl and top it with Tadka.
~ Can be served with Rotis or can be used as bread spread.


For Tadka:
~ Heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seed and let it crackle. Add Hing.
~ Add urad daal, fry till it turns little brown. Now add red chili, crushed garlic and curry leaves.
~ Top them immediately onto the beet chutney.

Tips:
If you don’t have cooker, place the vegetables in a pot and add ½ cup of water. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Then open and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the beetroot is soft and cooked.
If you don't have fresh coconut, use thawed frozen coconut.

UPDATE:

Award Time



Recieved my FIRST award from Deeksha of Dee's Kitchen. Thank you so much for this sweet gesture. Now I would like to extend this to my fellow bloggers.:)
1. Radhika
2. Thanmayi
3.
4. Priya

Update:
Sending this to Mehjabeen's Iftar Nights event

8 comments:

  1. Beetroot chutney is very new to me. Looks so colorful and sounds yummy!
    A small compliment is waiting for you at my blog plz do collect it.
    Cheers
    http://deeskitchen-deeksha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like great healthy food

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color of the chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments everyone. Though I must say I was surprised to know that many doesn't know about this. My mom would often make this and my all time fav chutney. :o) I am glad I am able to share this to everyone..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sumee thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing this awesome award with me :) Would love to see my blog on your blog roll dear :) so please follow :))) cheers, priya

    ReplyDelete
  6. chutney looks awesome and I just blogged a beets recipe too - check it out !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sumee..... super blog girl. Thanks for the award. Keep it going Sumee....you can inspire me to blog more often.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...