Thursday, August 18, 2011

Atval or Rice Porridge

You can call this my first Konkani recipe post. Recently Aayi made this for my sister Vandana whom she is visiting in Netherlands. When I was talking to them later that day, both of them were like, you have to put up this family favorite recipe on the blog. So, today I made Atval at home and blogging this comfort food from my childhood for you all to enjoy. This is a simple Konkani dish that not many people might have had. My mom would make this often. I loved eating them hot at the end of lunch like a desert (even though it’s not sweet). With rich coconut and rice, it sure will give you a good afternoon nap. Well, atleast that's where I am heading as soon as I am done posting. :o).
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 min. | Cooking Time: 12 to 15 min.

Ingredients:
·         Long grain Rice – 1 cup (Whiter the better)
·         Fresh coconut – ½ cup (Grind the freshly grated coconut in blender. Use just enough water to make it a smooth paste. )
·         Water – 4 - 5 cups
·         Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
~ Wash the rice and soak it for half an hour.
~ Drain the water, put it in the blender and pulse couple of times just enough to break the grains in half. [If you grind without soaking, you will get rice flour instead of broken rice]
~ Take the rice out in a pot, add 4 cups of water to rice and keep it on high to bring it to boil.
~ Stir every once in a while to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom.
~ Check on the rice grain and when it’s almost ready to be done, (should cook in about 7 to 8 minutes) add the coconut. Add salt to taste, give it all a stir and switch off the heat. It should be watery like kheer/ thin porridge consistency.
~ Serve it at the end of a meal or it can be served as a meal.

I am sending this recipe to Sameena's Rice Recipes Event.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so simple. I am going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tasted it before..looks yummt.Will try ASAP.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...