Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fruit Bread / Fruit Cake

I had bought some tutti fruitti container before Christmas. But since we went to India, my plans of making plum cake was kept on hold. Then y’day I wanted to bake something with my little one. Afterall she got this cute handmade valentine card for me. She has been rolling rotis alongside with me nowadays and I didn’t had to make any y’day. So I said let’s bake some cake.

Tutti fruitti cakes were always my favorite ones, besides plum cake that is. But I remember dad bringing home these fruit breads from bakery and we all jumping for it. I had no clue what fruit they were. Later I got to know they are usually made of pineapple bits or papaya bits. Interesting isn't it.

I followed this recipe from Sailus. It turned out ok. I say ok, coz the cake was little too sweet for my taste and I think next time I might reduce sugar, add pinch of salt, add ¼ cup of buttermilk and try with pineapple essence. Meanwhile my kids and hubby have started working on their cake vanishing act. J


Prep Time: 15 min. | Baking Time: 1 Hour 10 min. | Makes: 1 loaf bread


Ingredients:
Maida/ All purpose flour – 2 cups
Baking powder – 2 tsp.
Baking soda – ½ tsp.
Granulated sugar - 1¼ cup
Melted Butter – 1 stick ( ½ cup)
Eggs – 2
Vanilla essence – 2 tsp.
Milk – ½ cup
Tutti Fruitti mix – 1 cup
cooking spray


Check out the valentine card from my lil one. :o)
Method of Preparation:

~ Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Fahrenheit. Grease the loaf tin.
~ Sprinkle some flour on tutti fruitti and coat them. This will prevent them from sticking to each other.
~ Sieve flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl and keep aside.
~ In another bigger bowl, cream butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy.
~ Now add one egg at a time and beat with the mixer.
~ Add essence and combine with the mix.
~ Alternate flour and milk and combine little by little, making sure there are no lumps formed.
~ Add coated fruits to the batter and fold in gently. 
~ Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake for an hour or so, until toothpick comes out clean.
~ Take it out of oven and let it cool on wire rack for about 15 minutes.
~ Remove the cake from pan and slice using oiled knife to get a smooth cut.


This goes to my Bon Vivant events #1 - Sweet


And also to Vardhini's Sweet Luv, Radhika's Let's Cook Sweet Somethings, Sravani's Dish For Loved Ones, Kalyani's Served with Love and Gayathri's Walk down the memory lane, Vardhini's Bake Fest hosted by Anusha, Anjali's Cakes, Cookies And Desserts

12 comments:

  1. very tempting cake !! looks wonderful !! Thanks for linking to the event !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-Dish For Loved Ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks perfect n very yum...feel like grabbing them :)

    Join me for the Just "4" Fun event :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice cake..great with a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very yummy n tempting cake !! looks wonderful..nice cliks........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake looks fabulous, nice with some tea..

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow very tempting cake....superb

    ReplyDelete
  7. very colourful....simply yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colorful and tasty cake. Thx for linking to the event.

    Vardhini
    Event: Sweet Luv
    Event: Strawberries

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an all time favorite for the whole family....loved to find it linked. :)

    Event : Cakes, Cookies and Desserts

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want some now. Its so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...