Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Poori/ Fried Indian Flatbread


Poori who doesn't love this. This soft puffy looking are a delight for my kids. Though I don't do it very often, just because it's deep fried, I do it for festive occasions or when my kids asks for it. I hadn't had a chance to take pictures, since the minute hot ones comes out, kiddos want it. When some of my friends asked me to post this recipe, I took these pictures. So here you go on the recipe.

Ingredients:

Whole Wheat Flour - 2 Cups
Suji Rava/ Fine Semolina - 1 tsp. (optional)
Water - About 1 Cup
Hot Water - 1/2 Cup
Oil - 1 tbsp.
Salt - 1 tsp.
Vegetable oil to deep fry the pooris

Method of Preparation:

~ Take wheat flour, suji and salt in a wide mixing bowl.
~ Add hot water and carefully mix the water into dough. You can use spoon to mix at this stage so that you won't burn your hand.
~ Now start adding the regular water slowly until it comes together as pliable dough.
~ Add one tbsp. of oil and start kneading properly. You can use kneading blade and do it this in food processor too. Once you have smooth dough, make lime size balls.
~ While you are kneading, heat oil for deep frying.
~ Roll the dough balls into medium thickness circle.
~ Check the temperature of the oil, by dropping in a small pinched piece of dough. If it rises up immediately that means you are ready to roll and start deep frying.
~ Drop one poori (be very CAREFUL and gentle with hot oil) at a time in the oil. Using slotted ladle gently touch the top of the poori. This makes the poori to puff up.
~ Once a nice brown color has formed on the bottom side, flip the poori to the other side and fry for few seconds.
~ Using the slotted ladle take the poori out onto a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
~ Serve them hot. The best combination to serve these pooris are Batate Song (a konkani style potato curry) or Vegetable Kurma. Pictured above with Batate Song and Tofu Spinach Stir-fry


Notes:
~ Do not let the dough sit, once kneading. Start making the pooris right away.
~ If the dough is rolled out too thin, it won't puff up properly.
~ Make sure to hold the poori down in the oil with the slotted spoon for few seconds. This makes the poori to puff up.

You might also be interested in -
Vegetable Kurma
Tofu Spinach Stir-fry

10 comments:

  1. omg fantastically puffed up poories :) they look very delicious !! wud love to have them any time !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All time fav. of kids!
    www.sailajakitchen.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. last weekend I made it for breakfast, my son pressed all in tortilla maker and I fried it. all time whole family fav.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all time favs.. hot puffed poori right out frm kadai..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who can resist by seeing this puffed puri, directly out from wok, superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah poori my all time favorite.. looks good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe for something I've never made before and usually eaten in the shops. My other half is a big fan of poori and I certainly am gonna make the puffed up and delicious ones for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looks fantastic!
    I'd love to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...