Did the name interest you? Well, I wanted to just keep it without ginger, but with all words ending with a “Y” I added gingery. :o) Strawberries and raspberries are almost going out of season. We always get those big boxes from Sam’s and the last few remaining start to soften and then kids don’t want to eat. I try not to waste them and do jam or sauce out of them. Below is one of spicy chutney that I do with these berries. I didn't really get or taste this recipe anywhere. I was just playing around with making sauce out of the fruits. This spicy variation made the cut and I was happy to have noted down so I could recreate it every time. Make variations with your favorite fruit and try it. This can be used to top toast, just as a side relish with rice, with roti or even with dosa.
- Strawberry - 1 1/2 cup
- Rasberry - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Ginger - 1 lemon size - paste
- Pitted Dates - 1/2 cup *
- Sliced almonds - 1 tbsp. (optional)
- Salt to taste (<1 tsp.)
- Sugar - 1 tbsp. (Increase if you like it sweet)
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp.
~ The sauce with thicken and all the fruits should be nicely cooked. Switch off the heat and leave it to cook.
~ Put them in clean air tight glass jars and store it in fridge. Start using after 1 or 2 days. It will stay for a month or so.
* - I usually have the softer variety of dates, so I add them half way through. If they are harder, add it earlier so they cook and soften.
- Tastes best when it sits for a day or two.