I usually prefer to make this along with salmon. I feel they complement each other. I will be posting that recipe soon, so you too can enjoy them together.
- Asparagus – 1 Bunch.
- Orange juice – 1/2 cup ( Or use lemon juice 1 tbsp.)
- Chili powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – pinch (optional)
- Italian seasoning – 1 tbsp.
- Oil/ butter to sauté – 1 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Clean the asparagus and trim the bud end. You don’t have to if you can tolerate eating them. I usually pinch the top off. For the root end, bend at the end to break the hard part. Then cut the good part of Asparagus into about 2 – 3 inches long.
- Heat the oil/ butter in a pan. Add all the asparagus to the hot pan. Sauté them for 2 minutes on high temperature. Reduce to medium heat and close it with a lid and cook for another minute of two.
- Once the color of the asparagus starts to brighten, add turmeric, chili powder and Italian seasoning. Fry for some more time and add salt to taste.
- Pour the orange juice; continue to sauté for some more time and switch off the stove. The juice will almost dry up.
- Shop for thinner, young Asparagus, otherwise they tend to be woody to eat.
- If you are using gas stove, you might want to keep it till orange juice is soaked in. I have electric, so I tend to switch off early and leave it on there.
- Don’t overcook the asparagus, they taste better when crispy. Consider the time it takes to soak in orange juice.
- DO NOT put the lid on until it’s cooled down. Otherwise it will become soggy