Monday, July 18, 2011

Sautéed Asparagus

Asparagus is one of our favorite vegetable at home. When we moved to US, I was introduced to this wonderful vegetable full of Vitamins and minerals. First I wasn’t sure how to prepare it. Then one fine day I decided to come up with own recipe and try it. So picked up a fresh young asparagus bunch and tried the below recipe. My friends had come over in the evening and when I told them about my adventure, they all wanted to give it a try. Whole thing was gone in minutes.
I usually prefer to make this along with salmon. I feel they complement each other. I will be posting that recipe soon, so you too can enjoy them together.


Ingredients:
  • Asparagus – 1 Bunch.
  • Orange juice – 1/2 cup ( Or use lemon juice 1 tbsp.)
  • Chili powder – 1 tsp.
  • Turmeric powder – pinch (optional)
  • Italian seasoning – 1 tbsp.
  • Oil/ butter to sauté – 1 tbsp.
  • Salt to taste






Method of Preparation:
 -   Clean the asparagus and trim the bud end. You don’t have to if you can tolerate eating them. I usually pinch the top off. For the root end, bend at the end to break the hard part. Then cut the good part of Asparagus into about 2 – 3 inches long.

-    Heat the oil/ butter in a pan. Add all the asparagus to the hot pan. Sauté them for 2 minutes on high temperature. Reduce to medium heat and close it with a lid and cook for another minute of two.

-    Once the color of the asparagus starts to brighten, add turmeric, chili powder and Italian seasoning. Fry for some more time and add salt to taste.
-    Pour the orange juice; continue to sauté for some more time and switch off the stove. The juice will almost dry up.


TIPS:
  • Shop for thinner, young Asparagus, otherwise they tend to be woody to eat.
  • If you are using gas stove, you might want to keep it till orange juice is soaked in. I have electric, so I tend to switch off early and leave it on there.
  • Don’t overcook the asparagus, they taste better when crispy. Consider the time it takes to soak in orange juice.
  • DO NOT put the lid on until it’s cooled down. Otherwise it will become soggy
I hope you will enjoy this dish as much as they do in my home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...