Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Sardines in Spicy Tomato Sauce/ Tarli Phanna Upkari


I remember in my summer vacation when we used to visit my maternal grandma, she would keep tarli prepared in a small earthen pot. The more days you keep the tastier it would become. It's almost like pickle, when you think of it, it makes your mouth water. It's spicy and tangy. One of the dish that my mom prepares well too. I was always apprehensive of preparing the authentic tarli sol or upkari. This particular dish is courtesy of my friend Shubhi. One day she prepared this right in front of my eyes and I couldn't believe how good it was. It didn't needed an earthen pot (am sure that will enhance the taste though), nor needed to sit longer to taste better. This Sardines dish has become one of mine and my DH's favorite, and can be prepared in jiffy.

Prep Time: 2 min. | Cooking Time: 15 min | Serves: 6

Recipe Source: Shubhangi
Ingredients:
Sardine - 1 can (Sardines in Tomato sauce)
Tomato Sauce - 1 Can (or Tomato Juice)
Oil - 1 tsp.
Mustard - 1/2 tsp.
Hing/ Asafeotida - 1/2 tsp.
Chili Powder - 1 tbsp. *
Salt - 1 tsp.
Sugar - 1/2 tsp.


Method of Preparation:

~ In a thick iron cast pan heat oil and add mustard seeds.
~ When the mustard starts crackling, add hing and fry for few seconds.
~ Now add chili powder, tomato sauce and sardines.
~ Bring everything to boil, add salt and sugar, mix it all gently.
~ Simmer for couple of minutes and take it out of heat.
~ It goes really well with just plain rice.


NOTE:
~ Chili should be added according to your spice level. It has to be little spicier.
~ Instead of tomato sauce you could use V8 tomato juice. Just hold the sugar.
~ Check on the salt since canned sardines and tomato sauce has some salt in it.

6 comments:

  1. sauce looks spicy, love to use it for my vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So spicy n tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sauce has got a good color. Looks so spicy and delicious.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this hot colour gravy. Super spicy and scrumptious sardines curry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what a color .Hope u had njoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a pretty vibrant shade of red!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...