Monday, September 16, 2013

Beetroot Bhaaji/ Beets Upkari

My favorite way of making beetroot is chutney which I have previously blogged about. Another way is this, a simple low calorie bhaaji. Beetroot is one of the vegetable that stays in the refrigerator for pretty long duration. So I put them on my grocery list the minute I run out of it. I add them to my vegetable breakfast juices, which gives it a rich bright color. Juices are for another day! Today I present you this humble root in it's simple form of bhaaji.  


Prep Time : 5 min | Cooking Time: 15 min | Serves : 2

Ingredients:

Beetroot - 2 medium size
Oil - 1 tsp.
Mustard - 1/2 tsp.
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Urad Daal - 1 tsp.
Curry Leaves - Leaves from one spring
Red Chili - 1 split
Salt to taste




Method of Preparation:

~ Wash and peel the skin off of beetroots. Remove the hard top and bottom parts. Chop them.
~ Steam until they are little tender or pressure cook for 5 minutes. (Don't put any water in the container with beetroots)
~ In a wide pan, heat oil and add mustard.
~ Once the mustard starts spluttering, add urad daal, hing, red chili and lastly curry leaves.
~ Add the cooked beetroots, salt and mix them all thoroughly. Switch off the heat and serve it hot.




11 comments:

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...