Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pearl Couscous Salad

After staying put for last two weeks I thought it's high time I get back to my blogging. India trip was fun and exhausting at the same time. Everyone spoiled us to the core by feeding tons of food. So coming back home and having to cook didn't look too exciting I must say. :o) But now am over that hangover, so cutting the chase and getting my kitchen adventures started. Here is one exciting recipe for you all.

I have to admit Pearl Couscous was something totally new for me few months ago. I had pearl couscous salad at a party and when I started asking around who made that, that person had already left the party. Later during our progressive christmas dinner party, I thought of making this salad. I started looking online to see if I can get some recipe close to what I ate. I found my inspiration here. Starting with that, I added my own touches to it. Outcome was delicious will be an understatement. It was a great, refreshing salad with simple and rich tastes at the same time.


Prep Time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 10 min

Recipe Source : Taste Food

Ingredients:
Pearl Couscous - 1 cup
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp.
Water - 1½ cup ( can substitute with veggie or chicken broth)
Salt to taste (* If using broth check before you put salt)


Seasonings
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp.
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp.
Cumin powder - 1 tsp.
Cayenne powder - 1/2 tsp.
Lemon Zest - 1 tsp.
Pepper - 1 tsp.
Parsely powder - 2 tsp.

Veggies for Salad mix (You can add more of less of any salad veggies) -
Green Onions - 3 to 4 springs
Red Bell Pepper - 1/2
Yellow Bell Pepper - 1/2
Sweet Grape or Cherry Tomatoes - 1 cup
Pomegranate - 1/2 cup
Cilantro/ Coriander leaves - handful, chopped fine.
Mint / Pudina leaves - handful, chopped fine.
Salt to taste
Red Wine Vinegar - 2 tsp.

All the veggies cut up.. Colourful, Isn't it!

Method Of Preparation:

~ In a small bowl, mix everything under seasoning list and keep it aside.
~ Prepare the couscous according to package directions. Here is what I did. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add couscous and fry until they turn golden brown (About 5 minutes). Add boiling water and lower the heat (I kept it at 3). Simmer for about 7 to 10 minutes, until all the liquid dries up.
Keep gently stirring throughout to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
~ Take it out of heat and spread it in a wide pan.
~ Add the seasoning mix that you prepared, fluff it with fork and let it cool on the countertop.
~ Seed and dice the bell peppers, half the cherry tomatoes and chop the spring onions.
~ Once the couscous is cool enough, mix all the veggies, vinegar, salt to taste, pomegranate.
~ Leave it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
~ Mix it with cilantro and mint leaves before serving.

Linking this to Vardhini's New U event

9 comments:

  1. lovely...........colorful and ofcourse healthy salad

    ReplyDelete
  2. so colorful beautiful and healthy salad !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-Chocolate Fest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally YUMMY

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. yumm colourful n healthy Salad. Luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks so good..loved the colour of the salad

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome back dear, salad looks so colourful, delicious and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the healthy entries. Colorful and looks tasty. Thx for linking to the event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pearl couscous and this salad is gorgeous - I could live on food like this!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...