Sunday, April 6, 2014

Mackerel Fish Curry/ Bangda Thaiphal Ambat


I love seafood. And out of all the fishes, I am crazy about mackerel or bangda as we call it. The curry or the fry any way you make it, you will win me over. In US it's very hard to find; forget fresh, even good mackerel. Since I don't take chances with seafood, I never bought after first try.

Recently we found a place that sells good quality mackerel. And I called my second sister for help. She is VERY good at making seafood, infact non-vegetarian. I love almost all of her preparations. Whenever I am at her place, she spoils us good with loads of non-vegetarian food. This is her recipe that I am holding on to now to make the bangda curry every time.:o)

Thaiphal/ Teppal is less known spice which is used in Konkani dishes. It has pretty strong taste. I don't grind it into the curry, but put it later, it makes it infuse the curry with nice Teppal aroma. You can always skip this in the curry.  To know more about Teppal, visit this link here.

Ingredients:

Mackerel - 2 large (Cut into about 10 pieces)
Coconut - 2 1/2 Cups
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp.
Chili - Around 8 to 10
Haldi/ Turmeric - 1/2 tsp.
Tamarind - 1 1/2 tsp.
ginger - 1 inch
garlic - 2 or 3
Thaiphal/ Teppal - 5 or 6
Salt


Method of Preparation:

~ Clean and wash mackerel and keep aside.
~ Grind coconut, coriander seeds, chilies, turmeric powder and tamarind together.
~ When its almost grounded, add  ginger, garlic and continue to grind it fine.
~ In a wide thick bottomed pan, bring the ground masala to boil with salt and thaipal.
~ Add fish, cover 3/4th the pan and bring to boil again.
~ Serve it warm, at least after an hour so that the fish soaks in the flavors, along with rice.

Sending this to  Hearth And Soul Blog HopProjectInspiredTurnItUpTuesdayIn&OutOfTheKitchenAnythingGoesRecipeOfTheWeekShareYourStuffCreativeCornerDareToShareTryANewRecipeHeartsForHomeDIYSundayBragAboutItFoodFridayPinWorthyProjectsSweet&SavoryTheYuckStopsHere

8 comments:

  1. Delicious mackerel curry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious! would love to try your curry recipe! we have fairly good and fresh seafood here (being a small country surrounded with sea water) :) need to read up on your ingredients, though. hopefully i'd find them all here. :)

    thanks much for joining Food Friday again!
    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. I don't cook with curry often. This is inspiring. Thanks for sharing at the Anything Goes linky at Bacon Time. Hope to see you again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sure looks wonderful! I need to experiment with more fish. Thank you so much for linking up to "The Yuck Stops Here" link party. We start the party every Monday night at 8:00 pm, and we would love to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love curry but don't often have ones with fish in. This looks great. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by tomorrow and link up again. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious fish curry Sumee. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried anything like this before, but it looks like something my family would enjoy. :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you can join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/04/try-new-recipe-tuesday-april-15.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...