Thursday, August 15, 2013

Chaas/ Spiced Buttermilk

Chaas is a yogurt based drink which is popular all over India. Each region in India prepare their buttermilk in different ways. Each differ from other in a minute way. Our household we make "Phanna Taak" which is very similar to Chaas. I will post that some other day. Chaas is something I like to make this way since it's super simple and quick. 




It's common in India to have buttermilk especially during summer time. It instantly cools your body (and mind I would say). Many household it's common to serve this as drink when someone comes home on hot summer day. This summer in India I had more than my share of buttermilk. I am not the one who ends meal with yogurt with rice (like most of them do at my MIL's and Mom's place). I somehow cannot have yogurt in that manner. I do like to drink this thinned version of yogurt or just plain yogurt with some sugar. I do like seasoned yogurt rice. So there you go. :o) Now here is recipe for Chaas my way. This style is more popular in northern part of India.

Prep Time: 5 min | Serves : 4 Cups




Ingredients:

Yogurt - 1 Cup
Water - 3 Cups (or more if you like it thinner consistency)
Cumin (Jeera) seeds - 1 tsp. / Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp.
Green Chili - 1 small
Ginger - Small 1/2 inch piec
Asafetida (Hing) Powder - 1 pinch
Salt - 1/2 tsp. or to taste
Coriander/ Cilantro leaves - handful + 1 tbsp. for garnishing

Method of Preparation:

~ Add everything, except cilantro leaves for garnishing, into a blender. Run blender on low for few minutes until everything is blended.
~ Serve garnished with Cilantro.

4 comments:

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...