Monday, June 24, 2013

Ambe Sasam / Sweet & Sour Mango Curry

Ambe Sasam is one of the common konkani household dish during mango season. After almost 12 years I am in India during summer and this time around I ate them almost like every other day. Some may turn up their nose to hear about mango in a curry, that too whole mangoes. Even my daughter didn't quite like the whole idea of having mango inside the curry. But sunny boy loved them. But serve me up this, I am the happiest person. They go well with pooris, roti's or even plain rice. These pictures were taken at my sister's place in Pune. And she helped me with this writeup. Thanks Vittai :o)



Prep Time : 15 min | Cooking Time : 20 min | Serves : 5

Ingredients:
Small Ripe Whole Mango - 10 
Coconut (grated) - 1 and 1/2 Cup
Mustard / Saasam seeds - 1 tsp.
Red Chilies (Byadagi variety) - 4 to 5
Jaggery - 1/2 Cup (see notes)
Salt - a pinch




Method of Preparation:

~ Clean Mangoes and peel the skin off, put it in a big pan with jaggery.
~ Keep the skin aside in a small pot. Add half a cup of water and squeeze out the juice out of skin. Discard all the skin, keeping the juice. Add the juice to the pan above and bring everything to boil.
~ Meanwhile grind coconut, mustard and chilies.
~ Add this ground masala to the big pan.
~ Bring everything to boil, add salt to taste.
~ Serve it hot.




Note:
~ Choose small variety of mangoes. If they have more fiber in it, it's better.  ~ You can use sour ones in this recipe, just add more of jaggery, about 3/4 of a cup.

5 comments:

  1. I am so jealous, you are in India, enjoy your stay there and dish looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, We have similar curry is there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummilicious and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is so inviting & delicious! I LOVE sweet & sour curry , yours with mangoes! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...